January 17th, 2021: Squid Biology and Guided Dissection
Squid are some of the most intelligent creatures in the ocean. Learn about their taxonomy, adaptations, anatomy and fun facts about many different species as you dissect your own squid. The dissection and lesson will be led by one of the professional biologists on staff.
Reserve Your Spot Today for Future Events!
January 24th, 2021: Reef Fish Identification and Guided Conservation Angling
Pre-registration is required to attend this event.
Are you are visiting the keys and want to learn more about the surrounding ecology or live here and always wondered about the marine organisms in your backyard? Have you seen pictures from visiting school groups here on Pigeon Key and wanted to participate in some of the activities? Here is your chance! The Pigeon Key Foundation and Marine Science Center is excited to share that we are opening our Marine Science Education Program to the public! Perfect for families and adults alike.
Check-In at Visitor’s Center:11:30AM
Ferry Departure to Pigeon Key: 12PM
Ferry Departure back to Marathon: 3:30PM
We will begin at 11:30am with check in at our Visitors Center and a ferry ride to Pigeon Key, the 5-acre island under the Old Seven Mile Bridge. Once on island, we will jump into a fun marine science-based program that prepares you for a related hands-on activity. All of our programs are taught by professional biologists who are very knowledgeable about local marine biology and ecology.
After the programming there will be a lunch break (food and drink is not available for purchase or provided by Pigeon Key) that leads into an optional guided invertebrate touch tank session. The final hour will be open for an optional Pigeon Key history tour, exploring the island, or snorkeling off the dock. The ferry boat will be back at Pigeon Key at 3:30pm to return you to Faro Blanco.
Registration will be completed over the phone and we require a credit card to guarantee your place. Space is limited on our ferry boat.
Things to Know:
– All programming and activities are held outside and in accordance with local and CDC guidelines. Masks required.
– All programming is weather dependent and we will contact you if we must cancel.
– All children ages 17 and under must be accompanied by an adult.
– We strongly suggest bringing a water bottle, snacks and lunch for your visit.
– We also recommend bringing snorkel gear if you want to explore the water around the island (Please note there will not be a lifeguard on duty).
– Bathroom facilities and water fountain available on island.
– Cancellation Policy: Must contact Education Director 24-hours in advance or charged full-price.
Visit the Pigeon Key social media for the most up to date information on dates, programs, and availability.
Gift Shop and Ferry Departure: Located at Mile Marker 47.5
Open Daily, 9:30am-4pm
2010 Overseas Highway
Marathon, FL 33050