Covid-19 Update: Our commitment to your health and safety
Public Marine Science Programs
Pigeon Key Is Excited to Announce…
that we will now be offering weekly marine science education programs to the public. If you have ever wondered about the animals or habitats you see around the keys or have seen our school group pictures and wanted to join in on the fun, this is your chance!
Your visit will include
*All scheduled events are optional and we encourage self-exploration of the island.
a marine science lesson
taught by our on-island biologists
a guided invertebrate touch tank
a walking history tour
- All EVENTS are subject to cancellation due to weather, boat maintenance and other island events.
- The Old 7-Mile Bridge accessing Pigeon Key is currently closed and will re-open on a future date to be determined.
Ferry departs & returns to Faro Blanco Marina
At the Visitors Center
Ferry Departure time
March 2021 Events
Shark Biology & Guided Dissection
Sunday, March 7th
Squid Biology & Guided Dissection
Sunday, March 14th
Reef Fish Identification & Guided Fishing Clinic
Sunday, March 21st
Members receive a $5 discount per participant based on member level.
Children 12 and under
Upcoming Marine Science Programs
There are hundreds of shark species worldwide that can be found cruising the oceans and the Florida Keys are no different! In our Shark Biology & Guided Dissection program, we will teach you what makes sharks so unique and how they have managed to stay at the top of the food chain! Afterward, our staff biologists will walk you through the internal and external anatomy of a shark so you can get up close and personal with these fascinating organisms.
Fun for all ages!
Things to know
- All programming and activities are held outside and in accordance with local and CDC guidelines regarding COVID-19. Masks are required on our ferry boats, inside buildings and while communicating with staff or other parties.
- All programming is weather dependent and we will contact you if we must cancel.
- All children ages 17 and under must be accompanied by an adult.
- We strongly suggest bringing a water bottle, snacks and lunch for your visit.
- We also recommend bringing snorkel gear if you want to explore the water around the island (Please note there will not be a lifeguard on duty).
- Bathroom facilities and water fountain available on island.
- Cancellation Policy: Must contact Education Director 24-hours prior to start of event or you will be charged full-price.
Depart for island: 12PM
Introduction & Rules: 12:15PM
Marine Science Program (Varies Weekly): 12:30PM
Lunch Break: 1:30PM-2:00PM
Guided Invertebrate Touch Tank: 2 PM – 2:30 PM
Optional Walking History Tour: 2:40 PM
Departure from island: 3:30 PM